Friday, March 25, 2011

Home Comforts

Home Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping HouseHome Comforts: The Art and Science of Keeping House by Cheryl Mendelson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars






View all my reviews

So I really like this book. It is HUGE and intimidating, so it took me awhile to start reading it. Andrew's grandparents got this for us for Christmas one year. This lady is seriously smart-- lawyer, professor, and homemaker. I recommend this book to everyone. There are a lot of things I don't know how to do around our home-- this is a good resource to learn how to do things the right way.

Anyways, there's a part that I think is hilarious. She's talking about food short cuts:

" Nonetheless, there are times when you would be foolish not to use a mix. perhaps a domestic emergency occurs. Perhaps cupcakes must be brought to school tomorrow morning, but when you stop at the market on your way home from work, you cannot remember whether you have baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, nutmeg, cake flour, chocolate, or vanilla on your shelf, or you want to go through the "five items or fewer" line. So you buy the mix. Only a glutton for punishment would do otherwise. I have a hard time imagining emergency pancakes, but stranger things have happened." (pg. 46, Home Comforts: The Art & Science of Keeping House, Cherly Medelson)

Maybe I've been reading this for too long, but the last part cracks me up. What stranger things have happened?! I love that phrase. Andrew and I use it all the time now.

2 comments:

  1. Trust me, I would know. But not from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancake emergency = crying children early in the morning or at the end of a long day who need to eat something NOW and who most likely will not eat last night's leftovers but who can be guaranteed to eat pancakes. Now, my from-scratch pancake recipes all take a long time to put together and for Krusteaz's mixes, you just add water. Mixes are wonderful! I have that book too and it makes me crazy thinking about all of the things she says we should clean so I use it as a reference when I hit a wall, like how do I get the mold smell out of my washing machine. Glad you're enjoying it! Have you read "The Help"? If you have time to read these days, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete